Still label your kid “Smart”?

I have believed that my daughter is a “genius.” Until this very day, I actually have kept telling her she is a super smart girl. Let me give some examples: she started reading fluently just a few days after her 4th birthday (I myself started it at 6.5). One day she asked me a question: “If nobody has met God, how could I know that my teachers teach me what God means?”

Today I found an interesting blog post from Marginal Revolution. As an expression of appreciation to it, below is my quote:
"...a growing body of research-and a new study from the trenches of the New York public-school system-strongly suggests it might be the other way around. Giving kids the label of "smart" does not prevent them from underperforming. It might actually be causing it."
“ It turns out you should praise them for their effort, not their intelligence. If you praise kids for their intelligence, they tend to avoid tasks they fear they will fail at. ...”

My daughter is 7; well, I hope it’s not too late.

No comments: