Now that Pluto is no longer a planet...

When leading astronomers declared last week in Prague that Pluto was no longer a planet, my first reaction was that of being emotionally stirred. It hit me like a loss, though I was sure I wasn't alone. The knowledge held for so long finally got refuted. Still, with this reminder of the relative validity of scientific theories, that theories are not truths in themselves, I felt thankful. The declaration was stunning but also comforting.

My hope is that such an approach could be used to prove or disprove about the moonlanding, so that the important question that has been with humanity for ages can be settled with satisfactorily: Did man really land on the moon? Do not American and Russian scientists owe it to themselves as much as to other peoples to make such a declaration?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately people take these 'theories' as truths. For example: evolution, big bang, age of the earth, and many more.

Not necessarily dissaproving these theories myself, but more on the fact that they are simply theories (again, only human interpretation).

What's worse, lots of theories out there are built on other 'accepted-as-truths' theories. Anyway, I stop there :)

Nad said...

Good one. Mulder says that the truth is out there. Someone needs to inform him that it has been postponed ..:p)